Preparing For My Audition


 I was incredibly pleased when I found out our next performance was ‘Blood Brothers’. I knew this play well beforehand as I had studied it a lot in my Drama GCSE. Due to this prior knowledge, I also knew that this was a play I loved thanks to its serious nature and the range of emotions the characters go through. ‘Blood Brothers’ is an amazing play to watch, and I was excited to try out its characters and explore their world. I was eager to get started.

I chose to audition for ‘Mickey’ as I thought that his character was the one who changes the most and to me is definitely the most interesting character to try and portray. I was eager to get the scripts and monologues to learn. Mickey’s journey from a happy if mischievous child, to a nervous wreck of a teenager, to the angry and jealous adult he becomes is extremely engaging. His character goes through so much and I wanted to be able to portray this change and show that I was up to the challenge.

Another character I may have considered auditioning for is ‘Eddie’, ‘Mickey’s’ unknown twin brother. I considered ‘Eddie’ as he is also a main part and a fun role to play. Yet I feel that the challenges I wanted to overcome as an actor were not there. Therefore, I decided to give all my attention to the role of ‘Mickey’.

In order to prepare for my audition, I thought back to previous editions of the play I had seen before. In Secondary School and in College I managed to watch two different versions of the play and each time was brilliant to watch and experience. The acting on those stages really inspired me in my own performance. My most recent experience of watching the play in February in particular inspired me, as the actor to play ‘Mickey’ had played him for 16 years and was totally and utterly confident in his performance and with the character. I wanted to project that same confidence and was determined to do so by researching the character and projecting that knowledge and breadth of emotions to the audience.

I took a lot from watching ‘Mickey’ in the musical ‘Blood Brothers’, as I knew this actor had been doing this for many years and he knows what works. So, I studied his mannerisms and the small actions he did took just to bring the character to life, I took those and tried to put my own twist on them. I feel very prepared for this audition.


Comments

Popular Posts