Little Woman Aspect of Production

Candidate Declaration - I confirm that the attached portfolio is all my own work The other aspect of the play, ‘Little Women,’ that I worked on was props. Connor and I had decided we wanted take part in this because we thought it would be interesting considering that it was set in such a different time. Little did we know how big of a job we had on our hands. We started off by reading the script trying to find anything from the script that the characters use or say they have, to gain an initial understanding of the props we’d need. As we found out this was quite difficult, it was a massive script and there was a lot to uncover. So, we decided to see Kelly and ask her for help and what she thought she needed, Kelly then made us a list of things we needed to search for and ask the rest of the cast if they had. Determined Connor and I we set out on a quest to find some of the props online, on Amazon and to ask around. Luckily, a lot of people had quite a few of the props that we needed; this helped us out immensely. We were also very thankful to have Kelly, she went out and acquired a lot of things that we needed. Moreover, we also had a production team working on set pieces like old papers, that we helped to make and other bits such as dolls and mirrors. 

Kelly also brought in tables and chairs which was more set design, but it was an immense help to us as it gave us an idea of what we were working with. as time went on, we needed to make sure we had everything so I took the list that we made and ticked off anything we had and if we did not have anything it would be our job to make sure we had it before the show. During the show me Connor and I made a props table with names of all the characters on it so that when people needed them, they knew exactly where they were and most importantly for when the show is over, the cast would put there props back ready for the cast the next day.

Little women is a massive challenge in terms of production and preparation. First, we needed set pieces that looked like they belonged in the correct time, to make sure that everything felt the part. Being part of the props team, I was tasked with helping to source these set pieces. Another of my tasks that blended well with my role as an actor was to learn all about the time, the American Civil War and the following years immediately after. To make sure I understood everything the characters would say and do and why? In order to do this, I did quite a lot of research, as well as planning on some behavior classes for the casts, so we could learn the correct way to walk and talk. The difference in behavior from then to now is vast and I wanted to make sure I got this right to create a well-rounded character and therefore a superior performance. 




Comments

Popular Posts